Volume 8 Issue 2 - January 15, 2011
Commonwealth meet on disabilityD.N.I.S. News Network, India: The Commonwealth Secretariat and the National Human Rights Commission (N.H.R.C.) jointly organised a seminar on ‘Rights of Persons with Disabilities in the Commonwealth’ in New Delhi on January 14.
Inaugurating the seminar, Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.) Mukul Wasnik said that a new legislation to replace the Disability Act of 1995 will be brought very soon.
Speaking in the inaugural session of the seminar, Dr. Purna Sen, Head of the Human Rights Unit (H.R.U.) at the Commonwealth Secretariat, said Governments are particularly responsible for integrating the needs of people with disabilities in all their work.
Justice K. G. Balakrishnan, Chairperson of N.H.R.C. said the new Act should be in harmony with the provisions of U.N.C.R.P.D. and the definition of disability should be inclusive and conform to the human rights based model.
U.N. Special Rapporteur on Disability of the Commission for Social Development, Shuaib Chalklen said that one of the key challenges that confront many countries is raising awareness on the rights of people with disabilities in society.
The seminar brought together representatives of state and national human rights and disability rights bodies from various Commonwealth nations to explore ways to promote the rights of disabled persons. Presentations were made by national human rights bodies and organisations dealing with disabilities from India, Jamaica, Kenya, Mauritius, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.
Given below is a summary of the recommendations:
1. Increased ratification of the U.N. Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities in the Commonwealth;
2. Improved role and voice for disabled people in shaping initiatives;
3. Specially addressing areas of employment and education;
4. Strengthening of advocacy network.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “The law drafters have made it clear that they are on the side of care givers’ interests,” Bhargavi Davar
- With blinkers on, a diminished Committee on new disability law goes on
- Protest in Chennai over new law on disability rights
- North Zone Consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability’
- South Zone Consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability’
- Commonwealth meet on disability
- S.C. warns states of contempt action on Disabilities Act
- Another case of discrimination surfaces in the Civil Services
- Provide modern technology for visually impaired employees: Bombay H.C.
- Web portal launched with jobs exclusively for disabled people
- 1971 war-disabled run Mumbai marathon
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: