Volume 9 Issue 2 - April 01, 2012
Union Budget leaves the disability sector feeling cold
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The Union Budget 2012-13 presented by the Finance Minster to the Parliament on March 16 has left the disability sector extremely disappointed and disillusioned. References to disability issues in this year’s Budget is practically next to nothing!
Small references to disability have been made in the following contexts in the Budget Speech:
- No new case of polio being reported in the last one year.
- Increase in the monthly pension per person from Rs. 200 to Rs. 300 under the ongoing Indira Gandhi National Disability Pension Scheme for Below Poverty Line (B.P.L.) beneficiaries.
- Aadhaar platform being used to support the payment of disability pensions.
Javed Abidi, Convenor, Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) reacted to the Union Budget and said, “The hopes of 70 million Indians with disability have been betrayed. We are completely heartbroken.”
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Incapacity laws: A preliminary analysis shows how laws discriminate against various kinds of disabilities and not just people of ‘unsound mind’!
- “We have to address the ignorance, lack of knowledge and true understanding of diversity that is common within our own disability sector,” Merry Barua
- Union Budget leaves the disability sector feeling cold
- Ministry of Civil Aviation constitutes Committee to review C.A.R.
- India and Philippines share experiences on C.R.P.D. Parallel Reporting
- Ex-Army Officer the first Indian with disability to be appointed at U.N.I.C.E.F.
- Database on Government projects that include persons with disabilities created
- Draft resolution on Article 29 of C.R.P.D. tabled by Mexico and New Zealand
- Legal capacity denied to persons with cerebral palsy
- Disability Rights Alliance asks for disabled-friendly metro in Chennai
- Unknown disease causing disability amongst children in Kashmir
- Pimpri Chinchwad B.R.T.S. to be accessible, but not entirely
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: