Volume 9 Issue 2 - April 01, 2012
Legal capacity denied to persons with cerebral palsy
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Despite having ratified the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (C.R.P.D.), implementing bodies in India continue to deny legal capacity to persons with disabilities, especially those with cerebral palsy. In a new case, a group of young adults with cerebral palsy in Chennai have been denied the right to open bank accounts in their name.
This group of seven students from Vidya Sagar were planning to start a business venture and avail a loan from National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (N.H.F.D.C.). Accordingly, they had applied for opening bank accounts. Since the majority of the members of this group are also affected with mental disability, the bank refused their request. Instead, it recommended that the youngsters give a power of attorney to their parents to operate the bank account on their behalf.
It should be noted that N.H.F.D.C. also does not provide loans to individuals with intellectual disabilities.
Article 12 of C.R.P.D. talks about legal capacity, which has been further underlined by the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities to be read as full legal capacity. With India ratifying C.R.P.D., more and more such cases will continue to surface and the Government of India will have to state its position on the issue, one way or the other.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Incapacity laws: A preliminary analysis shows how laws discriminate against various kinds of disabilities and not just people of âunsound mindâ!
- âWe have to address the ignorance, lack of knowledge and true understanding of diversity that is common within our own disability sector,â Merry Barua
- Union Budget leaves the disability sector feeling cold
- Ministry of Civil Aviation constitutes Committee to review C.A.R.
- India and Philippines share experiences on C.R.P.D. Parallel Reporting
- Ex-Army Officer the first Indian with disability to be appointed at U.N.I.C.E.F.
- Database on Government projects that include persons with disabilities created
- Draft resolution on Article 29 of C.R.P.D. tabled by Mexico and New Zealand
- Legal capacity denied to persons with cerebral palsy
- Disability Rights Alliance asks for disabled-friendly metro in Chennai
- Unknown disease causing disability amongst children in Kashmir
- Pimpri Chinchwad B.R.T.S. to be accessible, but not entirely
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: