Volume 9 Issue 2 - April 01, 2012
Pimpri Chinchwad B.R.T.S. to be accessible, but not entirely
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Although it is encouraging to see that the concept of accessibility is slowly reaching smaller cities and towns, there’s still a long long road to go. A case in point is the Pimpri Chinchwad Bus Rapid Transit System (B.R.T.S.) under construction. A report in the Times of India states that the Mumbai – Pune highway stretch in Pimpri Chinchwad will be disabled-friendly. Out of the 34 planned bus stops, 12 will be disabled friendly and out of the 500 buses, 150 will have features such as level boarding or alighting and space for wheelchair docking, said the report.
The report quoted officials of the Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (P.C.M.C.) on the various accessibility features such as GPS-based voice-enabled passenger information systems, ramp access with tactile blocks, etc.
Question that could be asked is why just 12 bus stops and why only 150 buses? This further underlines the crying need for strong uniform policies on accessible public transport systems which would be followed throughout the country as a standard and the need for thorough training of the implementers down to the last person executing these new constructions and projects.
This also highlights the need for the disability sector leaders, especially the State and local leaders, to be alert and for them to monitor such ongoing projects in their area.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Incapacity laws: A preliminary analysis shows how laws discriminate against various kinds of disabilities and not just people of ‘unsound mind’!
- “We have to address the ignorance, lack of knowledge and true understanding of diversity that is common within our own disability sector,” Merry Barua
- Union Budget leaves the disability sector feeling cold
- Ministry of Civil Aviation constitutes Committee to review C.A.R.
- India and Philippines share experiences on C.R.P.D. Parallel Reporting
- Ex-Army Officer the first Indian with disability to be appointed at U.N.I.C.E.F.
- Database on Government projects that include persons with disabilities created
- Draft resolution on Article 29 of C.R.P.D. tabled by Mexico and New Zealand
- Legal capacity denied to persons with cerebral palsy
- Disability Rights Alliance asks for disabled-friendly metro in Chennai
- Unknown disease causing disability amongst children in Kashmir
- Pimpri Chinchwad B.R.T.S. to be accessible, but not entirely
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: