Volume 2 Issue 20 - October 15, 2004
World Sight Day 2004 raises awareness
DNIS News Network - World Sight Day observed on October 14.
Different events were organised throughout the world to mark World Sight Day on October 14. The day aims to raise awareness of the fact that 80 per cent of the world's blindness could be prevented or cured, and to encourage governments and others to invest in global blindness prevention programmes.
'Vision 2020: The right to sight' is a global initiative, launched in 1999, which aims to eliminate avoidable blindness by 2020. Vision 2020 programmes have been adopted in more than 40 countries worldwide.
According to a report released by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare on the occasion, there are more than 11 million blind people in India and cataracts account for 62 per cent of blindness in India.
The report also highlighted the new initiatives taken under the National Programme for Control of Blindness, such as development of facilities for all leading causes of blindness, control of childhood blindness and reaching under-served communities. It also outlined the break-up of revised grants that will be received by NGOs and Panchayats under the programme.
The report stressed the need for eye donation. The report states that there is a need for 1 lakh donated eyes every year in India but at present only 20,000 eyes are donated per year.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Historic by-elections held in India
- Disabled woman discriminated against by Gulf Air
- CBSE schools most insensitive to disabled students' needs
- Government to initiate new policy for mentally ill
- Disabled adventurer scales new heights
- Christopher Reeve: Crusader for disabled passes away
- Exhibiting possibilities despite limitations
- World Mental Health Day draws attention to mental illness
- World Sight Day 2004 raises awareness
- Tendulkar shoots for ramps
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: