Volume 3 Issue 20 - October 15, 2005
Government announces major initiative for N.G.O.s on World Sight Day
D.N.I.S. News Network – In a development that is expected to go a long way in preventing cases of vision impairment in rural and semi-urban areas, the Union Government has announced a go ahead to State Governments to extend grants to organisations working in the field.
Union Health Minister Dr. Anbumani Ramadoss on the occasion of the World Sight Day made the announcement, “The power to provide grants to NGOs working in the field of ophthalmology has been passed on to the States, under the National Programme for Control of Blindness,” he said.
“Since States are closer to the voluntary organisations working in the field, they can spot the genuine and dedicated NGOs to join hands and achieve the goals of the National Blindness Control Programme,” he added.
Dr. Ramadoss said, "Necessary funds needed by the States will be released by the Centre for further assistance to the selected NGOs, as per the revised plans of financial support." "Government and the NGOs have jointly prepared a blue print on Vision 2020 for India, which envisages community-based projects in every nook and corner of the country," he added.
In Hyderabad, Dr. Ramadoss later said, "The National Programme for Control of Blindness was making rapid progress and hoped that by 2020, the prevalence of blindness would be reduced to 0.3 per cent as compared to 1.1 per cent at present."
He appealed to all the State Governments to lay special emphasis on the prevention and treatment of child blindness.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- The 10th year of the Disability Act- It’s time for ACT10N is disability sector's theme for this year
- D.P.I. India, N.D.N. to send fact-finding team to look at quake relief in Kashmir
- The Disaster Management Bill 2005 leaves 70 million disabled people endangered
- Pioneering study on water and sanitation for disabled people
- Convergence India: Making disability part of every development initiative
- Ektha core group meet held in Chennai
- P.I.L. filed in Guwahati H.C. seeking a direction to Tripura Government to implement Disability Act
- Now a DU College for training visually impaired teachers
- U.P. Government asks all its departments hold recruitment examination on ground floor
- Government announces major initiative for N.G.O.s on World Sight Day
- Forging Inclusion on playgrounds, not just classroom
- National Programme for prevention of speech and hearing impairment on anvil: Health Minister
- Sensitising tomorrow’s media persons to issue of Access for people with disabilities
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: