Volume 2 Issue 21 - November 01, 2004
Supreme Court issues notice on non-implementation of Section 43 of PWD Act
DNIS News Network - The Supreme Court asks States and UTs to respond to a PIL that promises to be a significant development for the disability sector.
In what is seen as a significant development for the disability movement, the Supreme Court has issued notices to all the State governments and Union Territories, and has asked them to respond to a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) filed in the Court.
The PIL, filed by Salil Chaturvedi, questions the government's non-implementation of Section 43 of the Persons with Disabilities Act. The Section states that all governments and authorities shall make provisions for providing preferential allotment of land, at concessional rates, for disabled people, for residential and non-residential purposes. Most governments and authorities have not implemented this Section, and it is this that the PIL seeks to redress.
"This is a big step forward," feels Prashant Bhushan, a leading Public Interest lawyer in the Supreme Court who is fighting this case, "in our fight to provide greater facilities and accessibility for persons with disabilities."
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Arjun Singh sets up working group
- Supreme Court issues notice on non-implementation of Section 43 of PWD Act
- NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Award winners for 2004 announced
- Ministry of Finance clarifies Income Tax issue
- Significant step in establishing dyslexia as 'disability'
- Vishwas: Self-employment opportunities in Rajasthan
- Indian disability films selected for Moscow film festival
- Indian traffic system inching towards disabled-friendliness
- Physical disability adds to woes of Kutch earthquake victims
- Conquering disability, conquering hearts
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: