Volume 3 Issue 22 - November 15, 2005
H.C. asks D.U., Indraprastha University to submit affidavits on facilities for disabled people
D.N.I.S. News Network - The Delhi High Court has asked Delhi University and, Indraprastha University to submit affidavits on the facilities being provided to disabled students as per The Disability Act, 1995, at the earliest.
In the ongoing hearing on a Public Interest Litigation on the issue of access in Delhi University, filed by Disabled Rights Group’s Convenor Javed Abidi, the Court in its interim order dated 10 August 2005, had added Guru Govind Singh University, Jawaharlal Nehru University and Jamia Millia University in the list of respondents and asked them to file affidavits on the matter.
It is worth mentioning that in an earlier hearing, the Court had expressed serious displeasure over the affidavit filed by the Delhi University and had instructed the University Administration to file a fresh affidavit.
For the hearing on 9 November, Advocate Viraj Mohapatra appeared in the Court on behalf of Advocate Neeru Vaid. Two-judge bench of Justice Virendra Jain and Justice Rekha Sharma heard the case.
During the hearing, Jamia Millia Islamia University’s representative filed an affidavit detailing the status vis-ŕ-vis disability and facilities thereof. The affidavit states that the constructions carried out in the past five years are disabled-friendly. Facilities like toilets have also been made and scholarships are also being given to disabled students.
The affidavit also claimed that the administration was in the process of procuring seven wheelchairs, one for each faculty. The University also drew attention to the fact that though it is interested in creating more facilities for disabled students, its dependence on the University Grants Commission for funding made things difficult. Thus the Counsel appearing on behalf of Jamia Millia Islamia urged the Court to issue necessary direction to the Commission.
Advocates representing Delhi University and Indraprastha University submitted to the Court that their affidavits would be filed within the day or the day after the hearing. The Court fixed the next date of hearing for 25 January 2006.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- H.R.D. Ministry to hold National Consultation on National Action Plan on Inclusive Education
- N.C.P.E.D.P. Kashmir Earthquake Fund set up, round table planned in J&K
- As India gears to celebrate World Disability Day it's time for introspection
- Much-awaited disabled-friendly buses hit Delhi roads
- H.C. asks D.U., Indraprastha University to submit affidavits on facilities for disabled people
- President urges scientists, doctors to create an affordable cochlear implant
- Delhi Building Byelaws (Amendment) Bill-2005 referred to Union Home Ministry
- Despite H.C. order, visually impaired still await promised appointment
- Mumbai Police Chief asks cops to deal empathetically with problems faced by disabled people
- V.S.O Fundraising and Resource Mobilisation Workshop held in Orissa
- Camera study by I.S.I.C. to pave wave for wheelchair for Indian conditions
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: