Volume 3 Issue 22 - November 15, 2005
Despite H.C. order, visually impaired still await promised appointment
D.N.I.S. News Network – Even as India approaches a decade of the passage of The Disability Act, five people with visual impairment are awaiting appointment to government jobs, for which they were selected over six years ago, despite an order by the Kerala High Court asking the Central Government to pursue their cases.
These people, who were selected for Group ‘D’ posts in various Public Sector Undertakings and Departments, decided to approach the Kerala High Court after having submitted representations to all authorities concerned.
The Court, in a common judgement dated 6 June 2005, directed Union of India represented by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment to ensure faster action in this regard and the petitioners are given appointments at the Departments/Institutions that had been given their dossiers. The Court had further directed that the said process should be completed within a period of four months from the date of the receipt of the judgement.
The petitioners, namely M.C. Varghese, Syriya K.V., K.P. Nalani, Abdul Navaz and Vasantha Kumari, submitted separate representations to the Secretary Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment immediately after the judgement was announced.
The Ministry on its part wrote to the National Textile Corporation, Bangalore, through the Ministry of Textile to give appointment to the petitioners. But till date, no decision has been communicated to them, aggravating lives of these disabled persons who hail from poor families.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- H.R.D. Ministry to hold National Consultation on National Action Plan on Inclusive Education
- N.C.P.E.D.P. Kashmir Earthquake Fund set up, round table planned in J&K
- As India gears to celebrate World Disability Day it's time for introspection
- Much-awaited disabled-friendly buses hit Delhi roads
- H.C. asks D.U., Indraprastha University to submit affidavits on facilities for disabled people
- President urges scientists, doctors to create an affordable cochlear implant
- Delhi Building Byelaws (Amendment) Bill-2005 referred to Union Home Ministry
- Despite H.C. order, visually impaired still await promised appointment
- Mumbai Police Chief asks cops to deal empathetically with problems faced by disabled people
- V.S.O Fundraising and Resource Mobilisation Workshop held in Orissa
- Camera study by I.S.I.C. to pave wave for wheelchair for Indian conditions
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: