Volume 3 Issue 23 - December 01, 2005
Rajiv Gandhi Foundation gifts 'mobility' on birth anniversary of late Indira Gandhi
D.N.I.S. News Network-Congress President Sonia Gandhi distributed modified Kinetic Nova automobiles, sponsored by Rajiv Gandhi Foundation (R.G.F), on the occasion of the eighty-eighth birth anniversary of late Indira Gandhi.
Before the distribution ceremony, a training session was organised for 20 disabled people on safe road use preparation for comfortable use of the specially modified Kinetic Nova automobiles, 'Bingo'.
To the recipients these vehicles not only bring the hope of improved mobility but also promise to become a medium of economic and social independence. "The vehicle would give us back our dignity", Deepa Kumari, one of the recipients from Delhi was quoted as saying by a news report.
"I stay with my old parents and though I am able to support myself, travelling is a problem on my tri-cycle. I can't manage long distances and there is a constant need for somebody to help me. With this new vehicle I would be able to go out and maybe even support my family. I want to tell the world that the differently-abled are in no way less than an able-bodied person", Deepa added.
S. Devi from Madurai, Tamil Nadu, said: "We also want to live a life of dignity and not be dependent on anybody for our day-to-day needs. I want to be able to support my family, which I think I would be able to with the new independence that my vehicle would give me. Despite awareness about the problems faced by the disabled the government hasn't been able to provide us with something as basic as an extra low step in the public transport buses. We don't need mercy or pity we just need an opportunity."
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Sacking an employee on grounds of schizophrenia violates Disability Act: Bombay H.C.
- Parivaar accuses National Trust of going soft on corruption allegation; Aloka Guha denies charge
- National Convention held on National Policy on Inclusive Education
- Spirit of assertion by the disability sector fills the air ahead of World Disability Day
- Government institutions should respect the Disability Act: President
- Disability perspective missing in ActionAidâ€™s critique of Millennium Development Goals
- Guwahati H. C. directs Nagaland to extend reservation for disabled to include higher posts
- Delhi Chief Minister inaugurates Special Olympics National Games
- Disability cultural festival scheduled to mark World Disability Day has no sponsor!
- Technical snag grips low-floor disabled-friendly buses
- Europeâ€™s leading low fares airline announces policy change on vision impaired passengers
- Rajiv Gandhi Foundation gifts 'mobility' on birth anniversary of late Indira Gandhi
- Delhi Zoo being made disabled-friendly
- Chennai to host conference on Augmentative and Alternative Communication
- I.T.P.O. says it is helpless with regard to inaccessible pavilions at International Trade Fair
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: