Volume 3 Issue 23 - December 01, 2005
I.T.P.O. says it is helpless with regard to inaccessible pavilions at International Trade Fair
D.N.I.S. News Network- While claiming that the basic infrastructure at the Pragati Maidan was accessible with ramps at most places and disabled-friendly ticket counters and toilets, a senior official with the India Trade Promotion Organisation (I.T.P.O.) has expressed helplessness in forcing individual State Government pavilions to make their displays accessible.
Senior General Manager G. H. Khan stated this in response to a news report that drew attention to hardships being faced by disabled people in the recent India International Trade Fair.
“We have ramps as part of our basic infrastructure, so much so that the Shakuntalam Auditorium too is accessible. Therefore it is wrong to say that we are not aware of the need of access for disabled people,” he said.
“However, we do acknowledge that the pavilions set up by various agencies and particularly State Governments do not strictly adhere to the need for access. So, while one may be able to get to the entrance of the pavilion, thereafter the person may not be able to move,” he added.
Khan promised to stress the demand for better access by writing to the participating bodies.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Sacking an employee on grounds of schizophrenia violates Disability Act: Bombay H.C.
- Parivaar accuses National Trust of going soft on corruption allegation; Aloka Guha denies charge
- National Convention held on National Policy on Inclusive Education
- Spirit of assertion by the disability sector fills the air ahead of World Disability Day
- Government institutions should respect the Disability Act: President
- Disability perspective missing in ActionAid’s critique of Millennium Development Goals
- Guwahati H. C. directs Nagaland to extend reservation for disabled to include higher posts
- Delhi Chief Minister inaugurates Special Olympics National Games
- Disability cultural festival scheduled to mark World Disability Day has no sponsor!
- Technical snag grips low-floor disabled-friendly buses
- Europe’s leading low fares airline announces policy change on vision impaired passengers
- Rajiv Gandhi Foundation gifts 'mobility' on birth anniversary of late Indira Gandhi
- Delhi Zoo being made disabled-friendly
- Chennai to host conference on Augmentative and Alternative Communication
- I.T.P.O. says it is helpless with regard to inaccessible pavilions at International Trade Fair
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: