Volume 2 Issue 24 - December 15, 2004
Let's Walk to Freedom!
DNIS News Network - Over 10,000 people from across India come to India Gate to celebrate World Disability Day.
Excitement, colour, smiles and nearly 10,000 people – the ‘Walk to Freedom’ on World Disability Day (WDD), on December 3, generated a tremendous response. Disabled and non-disabled people from all parts of the country thronged Amar Jawan Jyoti, India Gate, presenting a vibrant picture of solidarity.
This year, the theme of WDD was ‘Inclusion’, which was expressed through the medium of arts and culture. It highlighted the importance of providing disabled people the opportunities to utilise their creative, artistic and intellectual potential. A series of performances were organised – bringing together adult as well as child artistes from various walks of life.
The programme highlights were a vocal performance by Shubha Mudgal, a play by Barry John’s Imago, a play by Sahara, a song by Swavalamban, a mime show by the Deaf Way, a song by AADI, a folk dance by Leprosy Mission and the Walk to Freedom. Mani Shankar Aiyar, Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas was the Chief Guest and Sheila Dikshit, Chief Minister of NCT of Delhi, presided over the function.
The event was organised by NCPEDP in association with the Government of NCT of Delhi, Disabled People’s International-India, Disabled Rights Group and Poorest Areas Civil Society Programme. It was supported by Action for Ability Development and Inclusion (AADI), Deepalaya, Development Corporation Ireland, Hemophilia Federation, Handicap International, Imago, Pravah, Sabala, Swavalamban, The Deaf Way, The Leprosy Mission and Voluntary Services Overseas.
(For details of NCPEDP's World Disability Day celebrations, see feature 'Celebrating art and ability'.)
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- UN Convention on Rights of Disabled People concludes final stage
- President Kalam announces speech applet for visually impaired people
- Search on for new CCPD
- Helen Keller awards presented
- Let's Walk to Freedom!
- Disability and Law workshop organised in Cochin
- ITF promotes Indian wheelchair tennis
- Disability still dogs Bhopal gas survivors
- Breaking down barriers
- Land mines are a major cause of disability
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: