Volume 3 Issue 24 - December 15, 2005
Special Olympics 2005 leaves only "winners"
D.N.I.S. News Network- Special Olympics Bharat 2005, which saw disabled children from 21 states including 10 teams from Delhi take part in sports event in the National Capital, came to a close with a colourful ceremony.
Around 1,200 children participated in the athletics events of the Special Olympics at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium. But it was the team from neighbouring Pakistan that generated much interest with their extraordinary performance. The Pakistani team, consisting of boys and girls, took part in various events including 50 metres, 100 metres, 200 metres, long jump, 4x100 metre relay and standing broad jump. Observers from Sri Lanka had also flown in to pick up tips for organising a similar event in the Island Nation.
Alongside the sporting activities, a Youth Summit was also organised in which Member of Parliament Sachin Pilot and business tycoon Navin Jindal interacted with disabled athletes and their non-disabled counterparts.
The annual Special Olympics Bharat this year assumes significance, as the Indian squad for the 2007 Special Olympics World Games in Shanghai will be selected from these games.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had inaugurated the Special Olympics National Games at an impressive ceremony in the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on 28 November and the event came to a close on the eve of World Disability Day.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Delegation of disability leaders calls on President of India on World Disability Day
- A law with no one to implement has been the tragedy of the India's disability sector: Abidi
- Firm up disability laws to ensure rights of disabled people: Delhi High Court Chief Justice
- H.R.D. Ministry to be nodal agency for implementation of Inclusive Education policy
- Kalam asks States to appoint Special Commissioners to ensure implemention of 3 per cent reservation
- More and more disabled students enrolling in open schools: National Institute of Open Schooling
- Madras H.C. directs C.M.T.C. not to buy new buses without ensuring their accessibility
- Inclusive Education Plan set for launch next year: Arjun Singh
- Protests over lack of implementation of Disability Act mark World Disability Day
- Two-day career development forum held for promoting inclusive employment opportunities
- Access audit by D.L.U. South belies claims of disabled-friendly railway stations
- Delhi Travel and Tourism Development Corporation to construct accessible traffic crossings
- Eye Hospital by Rahul Gandhi to address high incidence of curable blindness in Uttar Pradesh
- Thai disability rights protestors clash with police on World Disability Day
- Special Olympics 2005 leaves only "winners"
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: