Volume 3 Issue 3 - February 01, 2005
NCPEDP part of ‘Sarva Siksha Abhiyan’ Executive CommitteeDNIS News Network – In a welcome move, the Ministry of Human Resource Development has decided to include a respresentative from the disability sector in the Executive Committee of the National Mission. It nominated Javed Abidi, Executive Director, NCPEDP in December 2004.
Disabled people constitute 5 per cent of the population of the country. According to Government of India’s statistics, only 2 per cent of disabled children receive education of any kind. If ‘Education for All’ has to be achieved, it is extremely crucial to address the education of disabled people in a very serious and concerted manner.
The National Mission for Sarva Sikhsha Abhiyan (SSA) was constituted in 2001 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development and was vested with full executive and financial powers to function as the nodal body for all matters relating to elementary education.
The Mission has a governing council with the Prime Minister of India as Chairman and Minister of Human Resource Development as its Vice Chairman. The governing council includes Ministers of the ministries including Finance, Women and Child Development and Social Justice; six political leaders of main national political parties; three Members of Parliament; six Education Ministers of States; six representatives of teachers and teachers’ unions; five persons from among educationists, scientists, etc.; six persons from NGOs working in the field of education; three persons from women organisations and three persons working among SC / ST in the field of elementary education.
Other prominent members of Executive Committee include NCERT, National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration, National Council of Teachers Education, National Literacy Mission, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Planning Commission, Elected secretaries of four states (Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh) and seven non-official members comprising teachers, NGO representatives and educationists.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Prime Minister issues an order to adhere to 3% reservation for disabled persons in the Civil Service
- Disability leaders call on Home Minister demanding unlimited attempts in Civil Services
- Blatant discrimination against disabled scientist by IIT, Delhi
- State-level consultation on Civil Society partnership in post-tsunami rehabilitation
- NCPEDP part of ‘Sarva Siksha Abhiyan’ Executive Committee
- Disability group presents ten-point charter to President
- Mumbai Marathon turns inclusive
- Bollywood stars take up disability issues
- Disabled boy receives National Bravery Award
- Special children to be part of mainstream schools
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: