Volume 3 Issue 3 - February 01, 2005
Disabled boy receives National Bravery AwardDNIS News Network – Hotilal walks with difficulty and can barely speak. But when it came to rescuing drowning women, Hotilal displayed exemplary courage as others stood and watched. His act of bravery has won him the National Bravery Award 2004.
Fifty-eight year old Mayadevi had come to Mathura with her niece, seventeen-year-old Jyoti, and eleven-year-old granddaughter, Tanu. Hailing from faraway Alwar in Rajasthan they had come to take a holy dip in the river Yamuna on the occasion of Mauni Amavasya, an auspicious Hindu festival in the month of June last year.
Jyoti was swept away by an underwater current and Mayadevi and Tanu tried to pull her out of the water. But they were also sucked into the current. Watching from the banks, Hotilal, the son of a local boatman, rushed into the water and pulled out Tanu and the much heavier Mayadevi in turns. Jyoti had already drowned and sadly, Mayadevi could not be saved.
Even Hotilal’s father, Jairam Mallah, is aghast at his son’s act of bravery. “Hotilal can barely manage to change his own clothes let alone attend school. We have to help him even to put on clothes. I really do not know how he did it,” said Mallah.
“My son is very brave and wants to study. But there are no schools for children like him near my house and he is suffering as a result,” said Mallah. Speaking on the occasion, his family said that the local authorities had still not given him a disability certificate.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Prime Minister issues an order to adhere to 3% reservation for disabled persons in the Civil Service
- Disability leaders call on Home Minister demanding unlimited attempts in Civil Services
- Blatant discrimination against disabled scientist by IIT, Delhi
- State-level consultation on Civil Society partnership in post-tsunami rehabilitation
- NCPEDP part of ‘Sarva Siksha Abhiyan’ Executive Committee
- Disability group presents ten-point charter to President
- Mumbai Marathon turns inclusive
- Bollywood stars take up disability issues
- Disabled boy receives National Bravery Award
- Special children to be part of mainstream schools
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: