Volume 4 Issue 3 - February 01, 2006
Karnataka High Court asks State Government to implement Disability Act
D.N.I.S. News Network- The Karnataka High Court has directed the State Government to frame a scheme within the next six months for ensuring the implementation of the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act 1995.
Justice K. L. Manjunath gave the direction while disposing a writ petition filed by M. K. Ravindra Ural, a disabled person, seeking a direction to the Bangalore Mahanagara Transport Corporation (B.M.T.C.) to provide space to set up a telephone booth.
The petitioner contended that upon reading a newspaper report stating that B.M.T.C. was giving space to disabled people for opening telephone booths, he had applied for a phone booth or ice-cream vending machine under Section 43 of the Act.
But the petitioner was shocked by the reply from B.M.T.C. which said that the corporation was not bound by the directions of the State Commissioner for Disabilities as no scheme as required by the Act had been framed by the State Government.
According to the much-disputed disability figures of the Census while the national average is placed at two per cent, in Karnataka, it is around five to six per cent.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- N.C.P.E.D.P. pitches for announcement of incentives in Union Budget 2006-07
- Will disabled people miss the train again?
- Stop discrimination against disabled civil services aspirants, N.C.P.E.D.P. urges Union Government
- Karnataka High Court asks State Government to implement Disability Act
- District Rehabilitation Centre Scheme faces closure: Project Directorâ€™s Office
- Bank staff versed with sign language attracts clients with hearing impairment
- Severely disabled people untouched by state education scheme in Himachal Pradesh
- Unique Project to provide employment to 100 hearing impaired people
- India yet to wake up to the challenge of old-age related disabilities
- Disabled people find seriousness missing from Mumbai Marathon
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: