Volume 4 Issue 3 - February 01, 2006
Severely disabled people untouched by state education scheme in Himachal Pradesh
D.N.I.S. News Network - A micro survey in Himachal Pradesh has revealed that severely disabled children in the state’s Mandi-Balh-Sundernagar belt are yet to be reached by the Integrated Education for Disabled (I.E.D.) under the Sarva Siksha Abhiyan (S.S.A.) or universal education scheme.
The survey conducted by S.S.A. has once again brought into focus the inefficacy of the scheme that was launched in 2002 with the sole purpose of reaching disabled children in the Mandi district. Over 291 severely disabled children identified under the S.S.A. so far are yet to be covered under I.E.D. even after four years, according to the survey.
In the district of Mandi itself, the survey has identified over 5,180 disabled children. The break-up of those identified reveals that as many as 628 children are mentally disabled, 443 have orthopeadic disabilities, 627 are vision impaired, 490 are hearing impaired, 329 children have multiple disabilities and over 1,722 have learning disabilities.
The reported number of disabled children has been on the rise. In 2001, S.S.A. teachers had identified only 734 disabled children.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- N.C.P.E.D.P. pitches for announcement of incentives in Union Budget 2006-07
- Will disabled people miss the train again?
- Stop discrimination against disabled civil services aspirants, N.C.P.E.D.P. urges Union Government
- Karnataka High Court asks State Government to implement Disability Act
- District Rehabilitation Centre Scheme faces closure: Project Director’s Office
- Bank staff versed with sign language attracts clients with hearing impairment
- Severely disabled people untouched by state education scheme in Himachal Pradesh
- Unique Project to provide employment to 100 hearing impaired people
- India yet to wake up to the challenge of old-age related disabilities
- Disabled people find seriousness missing from Mumbai Marathon
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: