Volume 4 Issue 3 - February 01, 2006
Disabled people find seriousness missing from Mumbai Marathon
D.N.I.S. News Network- At the recent Mumbai Marathon, disabled participants not only took part, shoulder-to-shoulder with the non-disabled participants, but also displayed an intense competitive spirit.
The ever-growing participation by disabled people in such events should act as a reminder for the organisers to guard against tokenism. Merely “allowing” disabled people to participate in the Mumbai Marathon is not enough. Arrangements like toilets and drinking water facilities should be made accessible.
“They should have made ours a competitive event too”, said 25-year-old Rajiv Virat, who wants to climb the Everest one day. Rajiv has multiple sclerosis and has been a wheelchair user for eight years.
Last year, a huge controversy broke out as the marathon entry forms explicitly stated that no “wheel vehicles or animals” were allowed on the track. “We nearly sent a legal notice to the organisers,” remarked Anita Prabhu, co-chairperson of the Bandra-based Abled-Disabled All People Together (A.D.A.P.T.).
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- N.C.P.E.D.P. pitches for announcement of incentives in Union Budget 2006-07
- Will disabled people miss the train again?
- Stop discrimination against disabled civil services aspirants, N.C.P.E.D.P. urges Union Government
- Karnataka High Court asks State Government to implement Disability Act
- District Rehabilitation Centre Scheme faces closure: Project Director’s Office
- Bank staff versed with sign language attracts clients with hearing impairment
- Severely disabled people untouched by state education scheme in Himachal Pradesh
- Unique Project to provide employment to 100 hearing impaired people
- India yet to wake up to the challenge of old-age related disabilities
- Disabled people find seriousness missing from Mumbai Marathon
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: