Volume 8 Issue 3 - February 01, 2011
Meeting on draft National Policy on Universal Electronic AccessibilityD.N.I.S. News Network, India: The sixth meeting of the Sub-Committee set up for drafting the National Policy on Universal Electronic Accessibility was held in New Delhi recently. The meeting was conducted to discuss suggestions received from various Ministries and Departments on the draft National Policy, circulated by the Department of Information Technology (D.I.T.), in August last year.
During the meeting, mostly all the Ministries expressed support and gave suggestions for improvement and mentioned some special focus areas. Only the Ministry of Finance expressed reservations as to the need of a separate policy on the grounds that existing initiatives could be used to promote accessibility. However, other members pointed out that there are hardly any policy initiatives and that Government, by virtue of its ratification of U.N.C.R.P.D. and also by virtue of mentions made in its own Eleventh Five Year Plan, is required to formulate policy on I.C.T. accessibility.
The Committee also appreciated the proposal of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to create awareness through media by drawing up a communication strategy and an action plan to raise awareness.
At the end of the meeting, it was decided that D.I.T. will circulate the final draft policy with incorporated inputs in track changes format to the Committee members.
D.I.T. through the Centre for Internet and Society had undertaken a global research on the internet and electronic accessibility policies of 17 countries and the European Union (E.U.). More information on the research is available on www.e-accessibilitytoolkit.org.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Minister makes an effort to bring back disabled members into the Committee
- State Consultations planned on the Working Draft of the proposed new disability law
- New Law must create humane recovery spaces, insists N.A.A.J.M.I.
- U.P. Consultation on Census 2011 & Disability
- Gujarat State Consultation on Census 2011 witnesses huge enthusiasm
- Meeting on draft National Policy on Universal Electronic Accessibility
- N.A.S.S.S.C.O.M.âs Disability Advisory Group to focus on accessibility this year
- Indian Sign Language Institute & Training Centre to be set up this year
- No access ramps for disabled people at Sabarmati Ashram
- Defying odds, 80-year-old disabled surgeon still at work
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: