Volume 8 Issue 3 - February 01, 2011
Defying odds, 80-year-old disabled surgeon still at workD.N.I.S. News Network, India: Dr. Sharad Kumar Dicksheet is 80 years old. Paralysed by an accident in 1978, he has been a wheelchair user for the last over three decades. He is battling throat cancer and has a heart that functions only up to 18% of its capacity. Where would we expect such a person to be? Confined to a bed inside a hospital maybe? Well, he is confined to hospital beds indeed, but only to fix people’s defective faces and body – something that this plastic surgeon has been doing free of cost for poor patients for the past 42 years.
Dr. Dicksheet has fought against daunting odds to come up trumps and provide succour to millions of people in India. With precise moves and extremely neat sutures, it takes him less than 30 minutes to perform a cleft lip surgery on a one-month old child. Speed and efficiency are his two mantras and he performs 100-150 surgeries a day.
“In 30 minutes, he corrected my son’s cleft lip and did not charge anything for it,” said a grateful Banitha Venkatagiri, mother of Surya, the one-month old child.
A Padma Shri awardee, Dr. Dicksheet lives in New York for six months and spends rest of the time in India, from September to March, travelling across ten states solely to perform surgeries for cleft lips, squint eyes, facial scars, ptosis and birthmark removal. Such operations usually cost Rs. 25,000 but he does them for free, clocking 2,66,000 surgeries in India in the past 24 years.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Minister makes an effort to bring back disabled members into the Committee
- State Consultations planned on the Working Draft of the proposed new disability law
- New Law must create humane recovery spaces, insists N.A.A.J.M.I.
- U.P. Consultation on Census 2011 & Disability
- Gujarat State Consultation on Census 2011 witnesses huge enthusiasm
- Meeting on draft National Policy on Universal Electronic Accessibility
- N.A.S.S.S.C.O.M.’s Disability Advisory Group to focus on accessibility this year
- Indian Sign Language Institute & Training Centre to be set up this year
- No access ramps for disabled people at Sabarmati Ashram
- Defying odds, 80-year-old disabled surgeon still at work
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: