Volume 9 Issue 3 - April 15, 2012
O.B.C. candidates with disabilities to get three extra attempts at Civil Services
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: A ruling by a division bench comprising Justice Elipe Dharma Rao and Justice N. Kirubakaran of the Madras High Court has given candidates with disabilities from Other Backward Classes (O.B.C.) category three additional chances to appear for the Union Public Service Commission (U.P.S.C.) examination.
A writ petition, filed by M. Selvakumar, an O.B.C. candidate with disability who had cleared the preliminary exam in all his seven attempts, pointed out that according to a December 2007 notification, U.P.S.C. gave three additional attempts to candidates with disabilities from the general category. However, they failed to extend the same provision to candidates with disabilities from the O.B.C. communities.
Taking note of this discrepancy, Justice Elipe Dharma Rao in the judgement said, When the number of attempts has been increased from four to seven with respect to candidates with disabilities in the general category, and when there is no restriction with regard to the number of attempts for such candidates in S.C./S.T. category, restricting the number of attempts to seven in respect of candidates with disabilities in the O.B.C. category alone, is in violation of Article 14 (Right to Equality) of the Constitution.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- It is high time for the disability sector to demand for a Disability Rights Budget Statement, Meenakshi Balasubramaniam
- Survey reveals dismal picture of persons with disabilities in Odisha
- Centre, D.G.C.A. served notice by Supreme Court on deplaning of passenger with disability
- Another meeting at Ministry of Civil Aviation, with no solution in sight
- Make rights of persons with disabilities justiciable: C.P.I.(M.)
- O.B.C. candidates with disabilities to get three extra attempts at Civil Services
- After four years, blind woman finally gets U.P.S.C. posting, but in a lower category!
- Railways directed to fill up posts reserved for persons with disabilities
- Find alternatives to provide equal opportunities for people with disabilities, says H.P. High Court
- D.U. plans an examination policy for students with multiple disabilities
- Allahabad University takes a step towards being disabled-friendly
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: