Volume 9 Issue 3 - April 15, 2012
Find alternatives to provide equal opportunities for people with disabilities, says H.P. High Court
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Appalled at the fact that only 25 percent of the posts reserved for persons with disabilities in Class-I category Government jobs have been filled up, the Himachal Pradesh (H.P.) High Court directed the State Government and the H.P. Public Service Commission to find alternatives to provide equal opportunities to persons with disabilities.
Disposing off an appeal filed by a school teacher with physical impairment who failed to be selected in the H.P. Public Service Commission because he “lacked merit”, Justices Kurian Joseph and Dharam Chand Chaudhary said that the existing mode of selection was not in a position to ensure equal opportunity to persons with disabilities.
“In terms of the objectives of the Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995, we are of the view that it is high time that the State thinks of alternate methods of selection. It should also be considered whether such selection should be continued with the H.P. Public Service Commission,” said the Court.
“Even in selection for reserved quota, there cannot be any compromise on standard of merit as prescribed by the appointing authority. Of course, it is certainly open to the appointing authority to prescribe a lesser standard, to achieve the objects of such reservation,” the Court added.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “It is high time for the disability sector to demand for a Disability Rights Budget Statement,” Meenakshi Balasubramaniam
- Survey reveals dismal picture of persons with disabilities in Odisha
- Centre, D.G.C.A. served notice by Supreme Court on deplaning of passenger with disability
- Another meeting at Ministry of Civil Aviation, with no solution in sight
- Make rights of persons with disabilities justiciable: C.P.I.(M.)
- O.B.C. candidates with disabilities to get three extra attempts at Civil Services
- After four years, blind woman finally gets U.P.S.C. posting, but in a lower category!
- Railways directed to fill up posts reserved for persons with disabilities
- Find alternatives to provide equal opportunities for people with disabilities, says H.P. High Court
- D.U. plans an examination policy for students with multiple disabilities
- Allahabad University takes a step towards being disabled-friendly
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: