Volume 1 Issue 4 - October 15, 2003
Employment cannot be achieved in isolation: ActivistsDNIS News Network – If NGOs and corporates work in isolation, employable disabled people will continue to suffer, pointed out NGOs during a session on Employment and Economic Empowerment, at the national consultation meet on Biwako Millennium Framework.
Sanjiva Reddy, secretary of rural development, said that disabled people were to be made self-sufficient through skills honed and then matched with market requirements from employers.
“Everyday is an opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success and start with this as a base,” he added. Alop Mittal, from FICCI, who is himself a wheelchair user, pointed out how government was shrinking as an employer. He said, “It is we the disabled people who have to acquire necessary skills in ourselves so that we can demand jobs rightfully. We are unemployed but are employable and this should be our slogan.”
He quoted reports from UK, which showed that the productivity and attendance records of disabled people were better than that of non-disabled people. A survey of Barclay’s Bank revealed that disabled employees took less sick leaves than non-disabled employees.
When A K Dey of National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (NHFDC) made his presentation about his organisation’s various schemes the audience protested against its inordinate delays in the processing of loan applications.
NHFDC Chairman and Managing Director HC Mahajan, present in the meeting, elaborated on reasons for delay in sanctions.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awards announced
- Rights groups meet to discuss Biwako Millennium Framework
- NCPEDP features on Discovery
- Disabled women seek their rights
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyaan applauded
- Insurance schemes should be modified for disabled people
- Rights activists demand government support for self-help groups
- Scouts march for leprosy awareness
- Disabled kids to get educational policy soon
- Employment cannot be achieved in isolation: Activists
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: