Volume 3 Issue 4 - February 15, 2005
Tsunami victims take delivery of wheelchairsDNIS News Network – Free Wheelchair Mission (FWM), a California-based non-profit organisation, has delivered its first lot of wheelchairs to disabled victims of the tsunami disaster in India.
The Mission had made a commitment to deliver 2,750 wheelchairs to tsunami disabled victims in India and Sri Lanka. In accordance with that promise, FWM has already delivered four containers to India. Two containers were sent to Sathyam Literature Service Trust and Sathyam Mission School, located in Gujarat and two containers were entrusted to World Vision International to be distributed in Chennai.
“As a result of the tsunami disaster, the world has been generous in unprecedented ways. We at Free Wheelchair Mission will now do our part by providing disabled persons, many of which are newly disabled by the tsunami, with a chance to heal and rebuild,” said founder of FWM, Dr. Don Schoendorfer.
Anyone in need of a wheelchair should contact one of these organisations for information about availability and receiving a wheelchair.
Free Wheelchair Mission is currently working to send a container to Sri Lanka to be distributed by The Medical/Educational Poor Relief Community Project based in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka has not only been affected by the initial tsunami disaster, but is also facing a threat of landmine disasters. The tsunami has uprooted and reburied several landmines in unknown places, many of which have gone off injuring those trying to look for survivors or those trying to rebuild.
Although a Christian-based organisation, FWM says it is open to partnering with other religious organisations. Any organisation interested in receiving a container of wheelchairs should visit Free Wheelchair Mission’s website www.freewheelchairmission.org to fill out an on-line application.
Contact information of Sathyam Service Trust is:
Sathyam Service Trust
P.O Tiruvalla 689541
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Shadow Report slams government apathy
- NCPEDP submits budget recommendations for Railway and Union Budgets
- Krishnamurthy found guilty of failing to provide facilities for disabled voters in Haryana
- India tops world leprosy tables
- DDA housing scheme reserves flats for physically disabled persons
- Taj Mahal to be accessible to physically disabled people
- Tsunami victims take delivery of wheelchairs
- Blind navigators set the pace in Chennai Rally
- ‘Black’ throws light on disability
- Indian automobile designer focuses on disabled persons
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: