Volume 4 Issue 4 - February 15, 2006
Prime Minister meets N.F.B. members; Assures looking into amendments to Disability Act
D.N.I.S. News Network In a major breakthrough for the disability sector, particularly those with vision impairment, Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh has agreed to demands raised by National Federation of the Blind (N.F.B.).
The assurance came on 15 February in a meeting between the Prime Minister and members of N.F.B. who had been agitating since last November on a charter of demands that they want to be addressed to improve condition of vision impaired people in the country.
One of the key demands is pertaining to filling up of vacancies even though the People with Disabilities Act of 1995 guarantees reservations for the blind in government jobs, very few of these posts are actually filled.
The Act guarantees one per cent reservation for the blind at a conservative estimate of 15,000 jobs. Almost none of these posts is filled, and the PM has promised that an employment drive will be started soon to clear the backlog, N.F.B. General Secretary S K Rungta was quoted as saying.
Amendment of The Disability Act is another major demand being raised by N.F.B. In 1999, a government panel had given recommendations for amendments but Rungta says no action has been taken as yet. However, the Prime Minister has reportedly assured N.F.B. delegation that the report would be considered and taken up in the Budget Session of Parliament.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Making leprosy elimination meaningful by ending stigma and exclusion
- National Association of the Deaf holds pioneering National Consultation on Deaf Education
- Prime Minister meets N.F.B. members; Assures looking into amendments to Disability Act
- Lalu assures D.R.G. that concerns of disability sector will be addressed in Railway Budget
- Implement 3% reservation for disabled people in state-aided NGOs: M.S.J.E.
- C.B.S.E. exams to be disabled-friendly this year: Chairman
- Mumbai H.C. restrains state from filling up post after a blind candidate alleges discrimination
- IGNOU announces special awareness programme in disability
- N.C.P.E.D.P. - N.D.T.V. audit reveals poor state of services for disabled people by Jet
- National Seminar on Poverty and Disability
- Disabled participants register small but vital presence at Delhi International Marathon
- Beautification takes precedence over access at Delhi University library
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: