Volume 4 Issue 4 - February 15, 2006
Implement 3% reservation for disabled people in state-aided NGOs: M.S.J.E.
D.N.I.S. News Network – In a move that could expand employment opportunities for disabled people, the Ministry for Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.) has added them alongside Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Castes for job reservation in non-governmental organisations receiving government aid above Rs 20 lakh.
The move was much needed as the three per cent reservation in jobs for disabled people mandated under the Disability Act 1995 has been long pending with very few disabled people finding employment even in the social sector.
The Ministry of Social Justice’s missive to all ministries and government departments comes after the General Finance Rules (G.F.R.) 2005, which govern quota rules in the non-governmental organisations, gave a complete go-by to disabled people. In force since July 2005, the G.F.R. stipulated reservation in non-governmental organisations for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and for other Backward Castes.
To ensure that the attempt to give a place to the disabled in NGOs does not remain on paper, the Ministry of Social Justice has sought an annual report from all ministries on the status of disabled people’s on their employment in voluntary organisations receiving aid from them. A media report quoting sources said the fresh step is to neutralise the lacunae in the G.F.R.
The ministry has based the rationale of extending quota to disabled people on the Persons with Disabilities Act of 1995. It mandates three per cent of the jobs for persons with blindness or low vision; hearing impairment or locomotor disability/cerebral palsy, against posts identified for them, in all government and aided establishments.
Incorporating the criteria for reservation in non-governmental organisations, the order states that voluntary organisations, with an annual grant of Rs 20 lakh and workforce of over 20 persons, would have to implement the quota regime.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Making leprosy elimination meaningful by ending stigma and exclusion
- National Association of the Deaf holds pioneering National Consultation on Deaf Education
- Prime Minister meets N.F.B. members; Assures looking into amendments to Disability Act
- Lalu assures D.R.G. that concerns of disability sector will be addressed in Railway Budget
- Implement 3% reservation for disabled people in state-aided NGOs: M.S.J.E.
- C.B.S.E. exams to be disabled-friendly this year: Chairman
- Mumbai H.C. restrains state from filling up post after a blind candidate alleges discrimination
- IGNOU announces special awareness programme in disability
- N.C.P.E.D.P. - N.D.T.V. audit reveals poor state of services for disabled people by Jet
- National Seminar on Poverty and Disability
- Disabled participants register small but vital presence at Delhi International Marathon
- Beautification takes precedence over access at Delhi University library
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: