Volume 4 Issue 4 - February 15, 2006
Mumbai H.C. restrains state from filling up post after a blind candidate alleges discrimination
D.N.I.S. News Network – Mumbai High Court has stalled recruitment for the post of clerk-cum-typist, reserved for visually impaired in the Charity Commissioner’s office, after a shocking allegation by a blind candidate that he was humiliated during the selection process when he was asked to read from a newspaper and count raised fingers of a board member.
Taking serious note of the incident, Mumbai High Court has restrained Maharashtra government from filling the post. The court asked the government to file a reply to the allegation made by the petitioner and by way of interim relief granted a stay on the recruitment to the post.
In case the post had been filled, the court held that it would depend on the outcome of the petition. The petitioner, Pankaj Choudhary, claimed that he had topped the test but the way he was treated in the interview was "highly discriminatory and violated the basic human dignity".
The petitioner, employed with Helen Keller Institute for the Deaf and the Blind on a part-time basis, said that during the interview he was asked certain embarrassing questions that had no relevance to his abilities to perform the job. Choudhary said he had done a course in computer and had passed examination conducted by Maharashtra State Council of Examination in English and Marathi typewriting.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Making leprosy elimination meaningful by ending stigma and exclusion
- National Association of the Deaf holds pioneering National Consultation on Deaf Education
- Prime Minister meets N.F.B. members; Assures looking into amendments to Disability Act
- Lalu assures D.R.G. that concerns of disability sector will be addressed in Railway Budget
- Implement 3% reservation for disabled people in state-aided NGOs: M.S.J.E.
- C.B.S.E. exams to be disabled-friendly this year: Chairman
- Mumbai H.C. restrains state from filling up post after a blind candidate alleges discrimination
- IGNOU announces special awareness programme in disability
- N.C.P.E.D.P. - N.D.T.V. audit reveals poor state of services for disabled people by Jet
- National Seminar on Poverty and Disability
- Disabled participants register small but vital presence at Delhi International Marathon
- Beautification takes precedence over access at Delhi University library
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: