Volume 8 Issue 4 - February 15, 2011
Census 2011 begins, disability to be counted properly for the first time
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The moment of reckoning is here! Census of 2011 began on February 9. This operation will continue till February 28. An estimated 270,000 enumerators will work on the largest enumeration exercise in the world. This time around 8 categories of disabilities will be enumerated. The question on disability has also been moved up to number 9 from number 15 in 2001. Although, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) and its partners have made all possible efforts to sensitise enumerators, people with disabilities and their families and friends should be alert and ensure that Question number 9 is asked and the responses duly filled.
Dr. C. Chandramouli flagging off a tricycle rally
The categories of disability that will be enumerated this time are: Seeing, Hearing, Speech, Mental Retardation, Mental Illness, Multiple Disabilities and Any Other. Stakeholders should remember that an enumerator does not have the right to question or investigate. Whatever replies the respondent gives, it is the duty of the enumerator to record it faithfully. No certificate to prove ones disability is to be provided or shown to the enumerator.
Elderly people who have acquired a disability due to age should also be enumerated. In case, an enumerator does not show up or refuses to record a response, please get in touch with your local Census officials and register a complaint.
Meanwhile, an awareness rally of people with disabilities on tricycles was flagged off by Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India, Dr. C. Chandramouli on February 10.
This is an opportunity that comes once in 10 years and we have to ensure that this time around, an authentic figure on the total population of people with disabilities is clearly reflected.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Finally, âWorking Draftâ of the proposed Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act out!
- Census 2011 begins, disability to be counted properly for the first time
- Committee drafting new disability law meets, the âbeneficiariesâ remain in the dark
- âWhat is the hurry?â Minister, M.S.J.E. asks the Committee drafting new disability law
- The draft Mental Health law is fascist: N.A.A.J.M.I.
- Denied I.A.S. despite order, visually impaired duo threaten legal action
- Dyslexic student denied 3% reservation facility in Engineering Entrance Exam
- No reservation for A.I.I.M.S. nursing posts, disabled candidates turn to court
- Fellowship launched for disabled people
- Special Recruitment Drive of D.o.P.T. extended till June 30
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: