Volume 8 Issue 4 - February 15, 2011
Committee drafting new disability law meets, the ‘beneficiaries’ remain in the darkD.N.I.S. News Network, India: In the last revised schedule released by the Committee drafting the proposed new disability law, it was planned to have a meeting on January 31, February 1 and 2 in New Delhi to finalise the Working Draft before it was released to the public. However, there has been no news in the public domain on this meeting. Although, it is confirmed that the Committee did meet, the minutes of the meeting have not been released even until now. The ‘beneficiaries’ – the disability sector in general and people with disabilities in particular, of the proposed Act continue to remain in the dark!
Meanwhile, the resignations of G. Syamala and Rajiv Rajan have been officially accepted by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.). However, Bhargavi Davar, another Member who had resigned, is yet to receive any notification as to whether her resignation has been accepted or not. Speaking to D.N.I.S., Davar said that the Chairperson of the Committee, Dr. Sudha Kaul has informed her that M.S.J.E. has sent a notification to Dr. Kaul stating that her resignation has been accepted.
One disability rights activist who had been closely involved in the drafting process, on condition of anonymity, told D.N.I.S. that some new faces have been included in the past few meetings of the Committee to replace the ones who had quit. These new invitees, according to our source, apparently are decoy participants of some caregivers. D.N.I.S. could not confirm this as the Committee is neither releasing the minutes nor are they making public the list of people who attended the Committee meetings since the time four of its Members resigned.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Finally, ‘Working Draft’ of the proposed Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act out!
- Census 2011 begins, disability to be counted properly for the first time
- Committee drafting new disability law meets, the ‘beneficiaries’ remain in the dark
- “What is the hurry?” Minister, M.S.J.E. asks the Committee drafting new disability law
- The draft Mental Health law is fascist: N.A.A.J.M.I.
- Denied I.A.S. despite order, visually impaired duo threaten legal action
- Dyslexic student denied 3% reservation facility in Engineering Entrance Exam
- No reservation for A.I.I.M.S. nursing posts, disabled candidates turn to court
- Fellowship launched for disabled people
- Special Recruitment Drive of D.o.P.T. extended till June 30
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: