Volume 8 Issue 4 - February 15, 2011
The draft Mental Health law is fascist: N.A.A.J.M.I.D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The purpose of any Mental Health Act, if provided for in India, should be to create and enhance pathways towards overall community well-being and good mental health, insists National Alliance on Access to Justice for Persons living with a Mental Illness (N.A.A.J.M.I.). The organisation says that, in order to promote community care and support for vulnerable people, there is a need for a law that will enhance choices for total health and well-being of communities.
In its critique of the draft Mental Health Care Act, N.A.A.J.M.I. said that if passed, this law will be the highest atrocity committed on humanity as a whole and not just on Persons living with a Mental Illness (P.L.M.I.). The draft law is fascist and made by people who do not have any understanding of the role of the law in peoples lives, insist many members of the organisation.
N.A.A.J.M.I. also said that the draft law will shred the social fabric to bits on the bogey of mentally ill and competency test. We are disappointed that even this draft has kept its custodial content intact. It seems that the Ministry of Health is still working within the assumptions of the colonial asylum psychiatry. More than the earlier versions, this version is perpetuating the view of P.L.M.I. as incapable, stated the organisation in its critique.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Finally, âWorking Draftâ of the proposed Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act out!
- Census 2011 begins, disability to be counted properly for the first time
- Committee drafting new disability law meets, the âbeneficiariesâ remain in the dark
- âWhat is the hurry?â Minister, M.S.J.E. asks the Committee drafting new disability law
- The draft Mental Health law is fascist: N.A.A.J.M.I.
- Denied I.A.S. despite order, visually impaired duo threaten legal action
- Dyslexic student denied 3% reservation facility in Engineering Entrance Exam
- No reservation for A.I.I.M.S. nursing posts, disabled candidates turn to court
- Fellowship launched for disabled people
- Special Recruitment Drive of D.o.P.T. extended till June 30
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: