Volume 3 Issue 5 - March 01, 2005
Arjun Singh plans to introduce bill for education of disabled children
DNIS News Network - Due to the Minister’s initiative, the disability sector is hopeful of new horizons opening in the field of education in India.
A significant slice of education history in India is being rewritten. Education in the country is slated to now be restructured so that its disabled citizens can access the services and facilities so far denied them. The initiative comes from none other than the Minister for Human Resource Development, Arjun Singh, himself.
Speaking during a discussion in the Rajya Sabha, the Minister expressed his dissatisfaction over the efforts -- or the lack thereof -- by the concerned ministries, regarding disabled students. He made a commitment not only to come up with a comprehensive plan of action but also to table this plan in the Parliament in the present session. This time commitment is a very a positive development.
Singh emphasised that the government “will come out with a comprehensive plan of action, with the required financial backing in a State, where we talk of spending thousands of crores of rupees for this project and that project; I do not think it will be difficult to find that money also”.
The disability sector is hopeful of new horizons opening in the field of education in India.
(For details, see feature story, ‘Inclusive education – A vision come true?’)
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- DRG opposes people chosen for three key disability posts
- Arjun Singh plans to introduce bill for education of disabled children
- Disabled candidate wins Panchayat election in Chattisgarh
- IFS to now include disability quota
- Dwarfism now recognised as ‘disability’
- Union and Railway Budgets disappoint
- Disabled PCO owners in Andhra Pradesh protest slash in rates
- Study reveals domestic violence against disabled women in Orissa
- Jagjit Singh sings for mental health
- Disabled rights champion, Lal Advani, passes away
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: