Volume 3 Issue 5 - March 01, 2005
IFS to now include disability quota
DNIS News Network - This year has its share of good news: the Indian Foreign Service is also open to disabled candidates.
Last year, the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) opened its doors to persons with disability. This year has its own share of good news: the Indian Foreign Service (IFS) is also open to disabled candidates.
Now, about 12 of the total 26 Civil Services (including the IAS, IFS, DANICS and Indian Civil Accounts Service) have been opened to persons with disability in the country.
This development was announced by the Foreign Secretary to the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MSJE), early last month.
According to Jayati Chandra, Joint Secretary (Disability), MSJE, “IFS takes in about 20 candidates every year. The reservation on this amounts to one seat for the disabled. It has been decided that this seat will be reserved for one kind of disability every year by rotation. This year it will be reserved for the hearing impaired.” Chandra also added that all other Services, which did not apply to the MSJE for exemption from giving reservation to disabled people, would be considered open to accommodate disabled candidates.
Javed Abidi, Executive Director, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People, suggested that the Ministry should ensure the Union Public Service Commission immediately issue an advertisement stating all the deemed open services and the other services, which have quotas for persons with disability. The sector has also been demanding the rationalisation of reservations in, and the opening up of, more Services for persons with disability.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- DRG opposes people chosen for three key disability posts
- Arjun Singh plans to introduce bill for education of disabled children
- Disabled candidate wins Panchayat election in Chattisgarh
- IFS to now include disability quota
- Dwarfism now recognised as ‘disability’
- Union and Railway Budgets disappoint
- Disabled PCO owners in Andhra Pradesh protest slash in rates
- Study reveals domestic violence against disabled women in Orissa
- Jagjit Singh sings for mental health
- Disabled rights champion, Lal Advani, passes away
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: