Volume 3 Issue 5 - March 01, 2005
Study reveals domestic violence against disabled women in Orissa
DNIS News Network - A Swabhiman study reveals shocking abuse amongst disabled women.
Home is not the safest abode for over half the population of disabled women in Orissa. According to a study conducted by Swabhiman, an organisation working for the welfare of disabled people, over 20 per cent of mentally and physically challenged women in Orissa are raped by their own family members. More than 729 disabled women and girls, along with their family members, were interviewed in 12 districts of Orissa.
Dr Shruti Mohapatra, principal investigator in the study, said that disabled women were not only harassed at work and by strangers, but also by their family. Over 12.6 per cent physically disabled women said they had been raped and 15 per cent complained of being sexually harassed. This frequency was higher among the mentally challenged, where 25 per cent said they had been raped and 19 per cent complained of other forms of sexual harassment.
“Nearly 20 per cent physically challenged and 22 per cent mentally challenged women are forced into sex in their own families,” Mohapatra said. Of these, over 6 per cent were also forcibly sterilised by their families. Besides sexual torture, these women have to undergo physical abuse and isolation. Over 50 per cent of the women are beaten at home and not more than 40 per cent get three meals a day.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- DRG opposes people chosen for three key disability posts
- Arjun Singh plans to introduce bill for education of disabled children
- Disabled candidate wins Panchayat election in Chattisgarh
- IFS to now include disability quota
- Dwarfism now recognised as ‘disability’
- Union and Railway Budgets disappoint
- Disabled PCO owners in Andhra Pradesh protest slash in rates
- Study reveals domestic violence against disabled women in Orissa
- Jagjit Singh sings for mental health
- Disabled rights champion, Lal Advani, passes away
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: