Volume 4 Issue 5 - March 01, 2006
Delhi High Court issues notice to U.G.C. on lack of facilities for disabled students
D.N.I.S. News Network- University Grants Commission (U.G.C.) has been served a notice by the Delhi High Court, seeking facilities being provided to disabled students in various universities of the capital.
Hearing petition filed by Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.), on the issue of access for disabled people in Universities, the two judge bench of Justices Vijender Jain and Rekha Sharma issued the notice to U.G.C. when requested by petitioner’s Counsel Neeru Vaid.
Vaid drew attention of the Court to the fact that though the universities and the colleges in the national capital region have been filing affidavits, U.G.C. as the nodal body should also be asked to respond.
It must be pointed out here that D.R.G.’s Convenor Javed Abidi had filed the petition with specific reference to lack of facilities for disabled students in Delhi University. But taking stock of the seriousness of the matter, the Court in its interim order dated 10 August 2005, had also added Guru Govind Singh University, Jawaharlal Nehru University and Jamia Millia University in the list of respondents.
An access audit of five colleges of Delhi University in 2003 – Miranda House, Hindu College, Venketeshwara College, Gargi College and Sriram College of Commerce - had revealed a very high degree of ignorance about the access needs of disabled students. Basic amenities, like toilets, canteens and libraries, etc. were found to be inaccessible.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- There is something for everyone in the Railway Budget, says Lalu! But what about disabled people?
- Inclusive education needs funds
- Union Budget fails to deliver an incentives policy to promote employment for disabled people
- Hopes of millions of disabled people dashed! Lalu’s Orwellian budget fails to address demands
- M.S.J.E. asks States to send recommendations for amendment to Disability Act
- Delhi High Court pulls up Indian Railways for not implementing Disability Act
- Delhi High Court issues notices to private airlines seeking details on disability access
- Delhi High Court issues notice to U.G.C. on lack of facilities for disabled students
- Delhi High Court orders Centre & D.D.A. to notify scheme for land & plots at concessional rates
- Disability sector in Manipur demands implementation of Disability Act
- Learn from the past and move ahead to implement the Disability Act more effectively: Justice Verma
- North Zone Partners commit to strengthen National Disability Network
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: