Volume 4 Issue 5 - March 01, 2006
Disability sector in Manipur demands implementation of Disability Act
D.N.I.S. News Network- The nascent disability sector in Manipur is growing restive over the non-implementation of the provisions of the Disability Act 1995. In its latest move, it has demanded withholding results of State Public Service Examinations on account of discrimination against a vision-impaired aspirant who was not allowed to appear in the exam.
To press for this demand, a large number of disabled people staged a protest march in the capital city of Imphal.
The rally was organised after the Manipur Public Service Commission refused permission to Sapam Jaswabanta, a blind candidate to appear in the preliminary examinations of the Manipur Combined Service. Disabled people demanded that the results of the preliminary examination should not be announced till reservations were made for them.
The secretary of the M.P.S.C., Y. Jugondro, said that the blind candidate was not allowed to appear for the examination as the Combined Service Rules, 2005 do not have any provision for this.
The Common Forum for Persons with Disabilities (C.F.P.D.) had set 16 February as the deadline for conducting a fresh examination for the blind candidate. The Forum wanted this held before the preliminary examination results are announced.
After the rally, a copy of the memoranda was submitted to Manipur chief minister Okram Ibobi Singh and Governor S.S. Sidhu, according to media reports.
C.F.P.D. has demanded for the appointment of a full-time Disability Commissioner as per the Disabilities Act, three per cent job reservation and earmarking of three per cent of funds allotted to all state government departments for welfare of disabled people.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- There is something for everyone in the Railway Budget, says Lalu! But what about disabled people?
- Inclusive education needs funds
- Union Budget fails to deliver an incentives policy to promote employment for disabled people
- Hopes of millions of disabled people dashed! Lalu’s Orwellian budget fails to address demands
- M.S.J.E. asks States to send recommendations for amendment to Disability Act
- Delhi High Court pulls up Indian Railways for not implementing Disability Act
- Delhi High Court issues notices to private airlines seeking details on disability access
- Delhi High Court issues notice to U.G.C. on lack of facilities for disabled students
- Delhi High Court orders Centre & D.D.A. to notify scheme for land & plots at concessional rates
- Disability sector in Manipur demands implementation of Disability Act
- Learn from the past and move ahead to implement the Disability Act more effectively: Justice Verma
- North Zone Partners commit to strengthen National Disability Network
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: