Volume 6 Issue 5 - August 15, 2009
Draft National Health Bill 2009 open for public comments
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has come out with the draft National Health Bill 2009. This Bill aims to provide health, health equity and justice to all citizens of the country. It seeks to legalise the right to health care of every citizen along with other issues associated with health rights like access to good treatment, emergency care, etc.
In 2004, the National Human Rights Commission (N.H.R.C.) in collaboration with Jan Swasthya Abhiyan (J.S.A.) conducted many public hearings across the country on the right to health care. The findings were sent to the government recommending the enactment of a legislation to recognise and implement the right to health care of citizens.
On the heels of the recent protest against the Right to Education Bill, where the disability sector drew flak for slackening, this time around disabled rights activists are not taking any chances.
“The task ahead is to read and analyse this Bill carefully and compile comments and ensure that the concerns and issues of persons across disabilities, age group, gender, rural, urban, regional needs are adequately addressed,” says Mahesh Chandrasekhar, Advocacy Co-ordinator, C.B.R. Forum.
“We need to read the whole Bill, para by para, line by line and critique it from disabled people's point of view,” added Javed Abidi.
The current draft is available on the Ministry’s website and is open for public comments.Click here to read the draft National Health Bill 2009 (PDF - 507 KB) (PDF file that opens in a new window)
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- P.M. directs H.R.D. Ministry to include all disabilities in Right to Education Act
- I.T. Ministry to discuss draft National Policy on Electronic Accessibility
- Draft National Health Bill 2009 open for public comments
- D.R.G. forms an Amendments Committee to review proposed amendments to Disability Act
- C.D.P.F. registered in New Delhi
- Hotels to become disabled friendly
- I.C.T. to enable inclusive education in schools
- States yet to implement preferential land allotment for disabled people
- Court rooms to become accessible in Punjab and Haryana High Court
- Goa government offers V.R.S. for parents of children with disabilities
- Government urges car makers to manufacture disabled friendly vehicles
- N.C.P.E.D.P to form Zonal Committees
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: