Volume 7 Issue 5 - March 01, 2010
East Zone Consultation in Guwahati endorses demand for a new law
East Zone Consultation in progress
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: After the National Consultation in October last year and the North Zone Consultation in January this year, the East Zone Consultation in Guwahati on February 20, firmly endorsed the disability sector’s demand for a new law based on U.N.C.R.P.D. Like the previous Consultations, this was also organised by National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.), in association with Shishu Sarothi.
In his keynote address, Javed Abidi, Honorary Director, N.C.P.E.D.P., emphatically stated that the disability sector has to be proactive in this task. He also informed the gathering about the developments so far on this issue.
“The disability movement in the North Eastern part of the country is often left behind for a variety of reasons. This is why we decided to have the East Zone Consultation in Guwahati,” he added.
Arman Ali, Executive Director, Shishu Sarothi in his welcome address reiterated how any issue related to disability will have to be looked at from the U.N.C.R.P.D. perspective.
The Consultation had 6 sessions on ‘Definition of Disability’; ‘Equality, Non-Discrimination and Legal Capacity’; ‘Education’; ‘Employment’; ‘Monitoring / Implementation / Accountability’; and an Open House. It was attended by over 50 leaders from across the eastern part of the country.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “We cannot have inclusive growth unless disability is made an integral part of our growth,” Vinnie Mehta
- East Zone leadership roots for a new law with sharper teeth
- Finally, disability finds a place in the Union Budget!
- Is M.S.J.E. finally inching towards a new law?
- C.P.I. (M.) lends support to disability sector’s demand for a new law
- D.R.G. Core Group making steady progress in drafting a new disability law
- N.C.P.E.D.P. commissions study on disability question in Census 2011
- Health Ministry planning to amend Mental Health Act of 1987
- East Zone Consultation in Guwahati endorses demand for a new law
- Government finally spells relief for inmates at Asha Kiran
- N.C.P.E.D.P. writes to Sports Ministry on mismanagement of funds at P.C.I.
- Desert Storm opens avenues for disabled participants in car rallies
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: