Volume 1 Issue 6 - November 15, 2003
India ratifies UN ConventionDNIS News Network - The Government of India has finally decided to write a 'Comprehensive and integrated International Convention to promote and protect the rights and dignity of persons with disabilities' while ratifying United Nations International Convention.
The UN International Convention aims to make a difference in the lives of disabled people by recognising the indivisibility of their civil and political rights, along with their economic, social and cultural rights.
The Government of India's proposal aims to eliminate the specific barriers which disabled people are often compelled to face. "The idea is to promote a broad commitment to accessibility, autonomy and equality of opportunities in different spheres that comprise ordinary life in all societies," reported an official note.
The draft proposal gives a clear explanation about recognising, guaranteeing and promoting the rights of disabled people. It elaborates on the need for the removal physical, attitudinal, psychological, and informational barriers in detail vis-a-vis education, employment, social security and monitoring mechanisms, to name a few.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- GOI refuses to recognise merit
- Disabled scholars angry with DU
- India ratifies UN Convention
- A very special cricket tournament
- NGO-watch policy on the anvil
- NIMH gives hope to mentally disabled
- Education Bill lacks focus on disability
- BT tops Europe's equal opportunities' employer list
- Impairment is not a barrier
- Chomsky to speak at World Social Forum
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: