Volume 3 Issue 6 - March 15, 2005
CavinKare Awards for disabled people
DNIS News Network - Four individuals honoured for their contribution to society.
On 26 February, 2005, four individuals -- Rajinder Johar, Anjlee Agarwal, Sanjeev Sachdeva and G. Rajani -- were presented the CavinKare Ability Awards in a ceremony in Chennai. The honour recognised their outstanding contribution to society.
Rajinder Johar, receiver of the CavinKare Ability Award for Eminence, became quadriplegic and bedridden after an encounter with armed miscreants several years ago. Today, still bedridden, Johar heads ‘Family of Disabled’ (FOD), a non-profit organisation based in Delhi that helps disabled people get gainfully self-employed. His daughter, Preeti Johar, who received the award on his behalf, says “He is a tough man… FOD does so much, and all this from a man who is in bed all the time.”
Two CavinKare Awards for Mastery were given to the Anjlee Agarwal-Sanjeev Sachdeva duo, and to G. Rajani. Both Agarwal and Sachdeva have muscular dystrophy, a debilitating condition in which the muscles deteriorate progressively. They have set up ‘Samarthya’, a centre for the promotion of a barrier-free environment. One of their successful projects is the barrier-free Dilli Haat.
G. Rajani lost her sight in her childhood due to an allergic reaction to a drug. However, this did not stop her from using her phenomenal memory to become the first visually impaired Chartered Accountant in the country. She currently works in the Human Resource department of Taj West End, Bangalore, plays the veena and teaches and inspires other visually disabled people in following their dreams.
Agriculture scientist M.S. Swaminathan and music director A.R. Rahman presented the awards at a function held at the Chennai Trade Centre.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Appointments for all three key disability posts put on hold
- How inclusive are ‘inclusive’ schools?
- Special police cell for hearing and speech impaired in Bhopal
- Punjab to provide free legal services to disabled persons
- State-level workshop on ‘Disability and Law’ organised in Manipur
- C.B.S.E. lets down visually disabled students appearing for Board exams
- Disabled-friendly transport derailed before it can take off?
- N.D.M.C. to build a disabled-friendly Delhi
- Planning for disabled-friendly services
- CavinKare Awards for disabled people
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: