Volume 3 Issue 6 - March 15, 2005
Special police cell for hearing and speech impaired in Bhopal
DNIS News Network - A ĎSpecial Cell for Deaf and Dumb Personsí has been set up by the police department in Bhopal.
The police department in Bhopal launched a special cell in February, catering to persons with hearing and speech impairments. This step was initiated when a woman with the said disabilities came to report a rape but was unable to do so effectively due to the communication void between her and the police officials.
The ĎSpecial Cell for Deaf and Dumb Personsí was set up with help from the Bhopal Deaf and Dumb Association, Parents Association of Deaf & Dumb and Asha Niketan. These non-government organisations will hold sensitisation workshops for police officials and teach them sign language. Until the police master the language themselves, these trainers will work in the cell as translators. Initially, the cell will function only three days a week, but the experts can be called in case an emergency arises. The cell will be open all seven days after the police personnel master sign language.
Not only is this cell sensitive to the needs of disabled people, it is also efficient. The culprit of the rape case mentioned above has been arrested, and the department is all fired up to deal with anything that comes its way. Lady police officials have been appointed to the cell to deal with crimes against women. Only the second of its kind -- the first cell was started in Indore -- this cell has to set high standards in order to be a model to police stations around the country.
The police department is planning to launch another cell for persons with disabilities elsewhere in Bhopal. Unfortunately, the State government has not provided any kind of financial aid for this project and has failed to give it the necessary support and encouragement.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Appointments for all three key disability posts put on hold
- How inclusive are ‚Äėinclusive‚Äô schools?
- Special police cell for hearing and speech impaired in Bhopal
- Punjab to provide free legal services to disabled persons
- State-level workshop on ‚ÄėDisability and Law‚Äô organised in Manipur
- C.B.S.E. lets down visually disabled students appearing for Board exams
- Disabled-friendly transport derailed before it can take off?
- N.D.M.C. to build a disabled-friendly Delhi
- Planning for disabled-friendly services
- CavinKare Awards for disabled people
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: