Volume 8 Issue 6 - March 15, 2011
Javed Abidi invited to attend C.R.P.D. Committee’s meeting in GenevaD.N.I.S. News Network, India: Javed Abidi, prominent disabled activist and Convenor of the Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) has been invited by the International Disability Alliance (I.D.A.) to take part in the C.R.P.D. Committee’s Meeting in Geneva from April 11 to 15.
The C.R.P.D. Committee meets twice a year to review the progress of the implementation of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (U.N.C.R.P.D.). They examine the Country Reports filed by various Nations from across the world, who have ratified U.N.C.R.P.D. Along with the Country Reports, they also look at the various Shadow Reports filed by Disabled People’s Organisations and Civil Society, in order to get an accurate account of the ongoings in that particular country vis-a-vis the rights of people with disabilities.
It is a rare and special honour for an individual to be invited, who is otherwise not a Member of the C.R.P.D. Committee. However, considering Mr. Abidi’s prominent role in fighting for disability rights in India and the fact that he is now also a Member of the World Council of Disabled People’s International (D.P.I.), the invitation has been extended.
“I am thrilled for having been invited but at the same time, I will face acute embarrassment before the international leadership because India has not filed its Country Report even until now,” said Abidi when contacted for a reaction.
India was supposed to have submitted its Country Report on May 3, 2010. Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.), instead of preparing the report on their own, commissioned the task to a Consultant, namely Dr. Amita Dhanda of N.A.L.S.A.R.
“I am appalled that there is just no sense of accountability, no concept of deadlines when it comes to M.S.J.E.,” said Abidi.
Also, why are all consultancies given out to just that one person, Abidi wondered aloud.
Other than India’s Country Report on the implementation (or non-implementation) of U.N.C.R.P.D., Dr. Amita Dhanda of N.A.L.S.A.R. has also been commissioned the tasks of drafting the new National Trust law as well as the new Disability Rights law. Neither of the three assignments have been completed until now. Lakhs of rupees have been spent in the name of assignments and consultancies.
An angry Abidi said, “Isn’t lack of accountability, sheer disregard of the given deadlines inspite of having been paid lakhs of rupees, another form of corruption?”.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “Of course, I support full Legal Capacity,” Poonam Natarajan
- “The chapters on Legal Capacity and Authorities need to be rewritten,” General Ian Cardozo
- Working Draft of proposed new disability law comes under fire; a cut paste job says the sector
- Legal Capacity: Health Ministry and M.S.J.E. come out with two diametrically opposite positions
- Significant increase in the number of disabled students taking board exams but is it a premature celebration?
- Disabled people boycott Tamil Nadu Consultation; deliberations hijacked by parents and professionals
- Abidi writes to P.M., expresses disappointment over Union Budget
- ‘Disability Act should include elderly’
- Delhi High Court directs A.I.I.M.S. to call disabled doctor for counselling
- Javed Abidi invited to attend C.R.P.D. Committee’s meeting in Geneva
- Accessible passenger ramps: Innovation of IndiGo Airlines
- Heritage monuments to become disabled-friendly!
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: