Volume 8 Issue 6 - March 15, 2011
Accessible passenger ramps: Innovation of IndiGo AirlinesD.N.I.S. News Network, India: IndiGo Airlines’ success story has a lot of lessons for those interested in strategy.
Other than brand new A-320 jets from Airbus, a partnership like commitment from the company on maintenance, high investment in the training of its staff, and superior planning to match or even exceed the on-time performance record of its competitors, IndiGo also pushed best practices even when there was no compelling reason to do so.
Till now, most airlines in India, including top notch ones like Kingfisher and Jet continue to carry disabled passengers up the staircase to the aeroplane. Ground crew, with no training whatsoever, perform this task with a great risk as well as embarrassment to the disabled passengers. However, IndiGo reinvented the basics and brought in accessible passenger ramps from day one! All their buses, which ferry passengers between the airport terminal and the aircraft, are also low floor and disabled-friendly.
After only five years of operations, IndiGo has rocketed up the ladder to the No. 2 position in India by market share. Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation suggests that it is “one of the hottest” airlines to watch in 2011.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “Of course, I support full Legal Capacity,” Poonam Natarajan
- “The chapters on Legal Capacity and Authorities need to be rewritten,” General Ian Cardozo
- Working Draft of proposed new disability law comes under fire; a cut paste job says the sector
- Legal Capacity: Health Ministry and M.S.J.E. come out with two diametrically opposite positions
- Significant increase in the number of disabled students taking board exams but is it a premature celebration?
- Disabled people boycott Tamil Nadu Consultation; deliberations hijacked by parents and professionals
- Abidi writes to P.M., expresses disappointment over Union Budget
- ‘Disability Act should include elderly’
- Delhi High Court directs A.I.I.M.S. to call disabled doctor for counselling
- Javed Abidi invited to attend C.R.P.D. Committee’s meeting in Geneva
- Accessible passenger ramps: Innovation of IndiGo Airlines
- Heritage monuments to become disabled-friendly!
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: