Volume 1 Issue 7 - December 01, 2003
A day to celebrateDNIS News Network -- On World Disability Day (December 3) this year NCPEDP, along with its partner organisations, will be organising a 'Walk to Freedom' at India Gate in New Delhi.
For disabled persons, it is a day to celebrate, to rejoice and to ask for basic rights of inclusion into the mainstream society as any other respectable citizen of the country. And therefore, on World Disability Day (December 3) this year, the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for the Disabled Persons (NCPEDP) along with its partner organisations, will be organising a 'Walk to Freedom' at India Gate in New Delhi.
This year's celebrations are centred around inclusion as the theme. "Inclusion of disabled people into mainstream life will give wings to dreams of millions of disabled people," says the NCPEDP Executive Director, laved Abidi.
Last year, 7,000 people including disability rights activists from far-flung regions of the country turned up for the event and this year, the organisers are expecting 10,000 people to participate. A fun-filled event with cultural shows, there will be a performance by the popular music band Indian Ocean on the occasion. Eminent theatre personality Barry John will present an integrated play with disabled and regular children to celebrate disability.
"Disabled people seek our support --our support in providing them an accessible and healthy environment without prejudice, which is their right, as it is ours too," says Mr Abidi. "They do not need our sympathy though."
On the occasion, a special awareness campaign about disability related issues will be undertaken to sensitise the masses. The campaign will motivate people to come forward and express their solidarity Disabled people at various 'solidarity booths' on December 2.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Blind meet Kalam, wait for government action
- A day to celebrate
- IAS officer trainees sensitised about disability-related issues
- Drafting an incentives policy for the employment of disabled persons
- Seminar on incentives policy organised in Mumbai
- Radio City partners with NCPEDP
- Special bus makes its maiden run
- Special way of tapping special talent
- Can and able: Quiz that overcame all handicaps
- Afshari is an angel for children
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: