Volume 6 Issue 7 - September 15, 2009
Banks sit on 10,000 crores meant for disability
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Paying no heed to a 2004 Supreme Court order directing banks to utilize the money collected by rounding up interest tax collections since 1993 for implementation of the Disability Act of 1995, banks continue to pocket Rs. 724 crores annually bringing the figure to a whopping Rs. 10,000 crores.
This was revealed in a P.I.L. filed in the Supreme Court. The P.I.L also said that except for starting a scholarship scheme for disabled students with a maximum expenditure of Rs. 1 crore every year, nothing further has been done.
Colin Gonsalves, advocate for the petitioner said that if this fund is utilized, the implementation of Disability Act would not need State funding.
The Supreme Court in its 2004 directive had asked to set up a Trust headed by Comptroller and Auditor General (C.A.G.) and the Union of India, banks and other financial institutions to contribute Rs. 50 lakhs each annually towards this Trust.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- We practice what we preach! D.N.I.S. becomes W.C.A.G. 2.0 compliant
- Scheme for Incentives to the Private Sector a total flop admits P.M.
- Online C.A.T. 2009 “environment friendly” but not disabled friendly
- Supreme Court judgement out on Right to Motherhood of mentally retarded
- Banks sit on 10,000 crores meant for disability
- High Court directs Centre to reconsider discriminatory insurance rules
- Second Conference of States Parties to U.N.C.R.P.D. held in New York
- Asia’s first centre for higher education for disabled people started in U.P.
- Supreme Court asks government to fill up job vacancies for disabled persons
- Cochlear launches implantable hearing solutions in India
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: