Volume 6 Issue 7 - September 15, 2009
High Court directs Centre to reconsider discriminatory insurance rules
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Delhi High Court has directed the Centre to reconsider its Postal Insurance Rules which discriminate against people with disabilities. The rules consider all disabilities under one category and do not distinguish between life expectancy and other factors related to different disabilities. Moreover, people with disability currently have to pay a greater premium to get an insurance cover of Rs. 1 lakh while a non - disabled person gets a cover of Rs. 5 lakhs at a much lesser premium.
Hearing a petition filed by Vikas Gupta, a visually impaired person, a bench comprising Chief Justice A.P. Shah and Justice Manmohan directed the government to file their reply about their stand on this issue to the court within September.
Appearing on behalf of the government, Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium assured the court that the government will have broad base consultation with experts and also take advice from insurance regulators and draft a fresh policy which will put people with disability at par with non - disabled people.
The next hearing of the case will be on October 7.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- We practice what we preach! D.N.I.S. becomes W.C.A.G. 2.0 compliant
- Scheme for Incentives to the Private Sector a total flop admits P.M.
- Online C.A.T. 2009 “environment friendly” but not disabled friendly
- Supreme Court judgement out on Right to Motherhood of mentally retarded
- Banks sit on 10,000 crores meant for disability
- High Court directs Centre to reconsider discriminatory insurance rules
- Second Conference of States Parties to U.N.C.R.P.D. held in New York
- Asia’s first centre for higher education for disabled people started in U.P.
- Supreme Court asks government to fill up job vacancies for disabled persons
- Cochlear launches implantable hearing solutions in India
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: