Volume 6 Issue 7 - September 15, 2009
Asia’s first centre for higher education for disabled people started in U.P.
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Shakuntala Mishra Rehabilitation University in Lucknow, Asia’s first centre for higher education for physically disabled and visually impaired people was inaugurated by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister, Mayawati on September 5.
Six disciplines have been started in the first session, including B.Ed. and two diploma courses. Forty five students have been enrolled in the opening session. Spread over 175 acres, the University houses a special education faculty for teaching subjects related to disability, besides other faculties.
Fifty per cent seats of various courses have been reserved for people with disabilities, of which half the seats are reserved for visually impaired people.
Mayawati noted that the University would serve as a catalyst for better job opportunities for the pass outs and will also instill a feeling of self confidence in them. She said the courses recognised by the Rehabilitation Council of India would be conducted in the University and a research unit would also be set up for research activities to remove impediments faced by disabled people.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- We practice what we preach! D.N.I.S. becomes W.C.A.G. 2.0 compliant
- Scheme for Incentives to the Private Sector a total flop admits P.M.
- Online C.A.T. 2009 “environment friendly” but not disabled friendly
- Supreme Court judgement out on Right to Motherhood of mentally retarded
- Banks sit on 10,000 crores meant for disability
- High Court directs Centre to reconsider discriminatory insurance rules
- Second Conference of States Parties to U.N.C.R.P.D. held in New York
- Asia’s first centre for higher education for disabled people started in U.P.
- Supreme Court asks government to fill up job vacancies for disabled persons
- Cochlear launches implantable hearing solutions in India
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: