Volume 7 Issue 7 - April 01, 2010
Disabled Officer all set to become Major General
D.N.I.S. News Network: For the first time in the history of Indian Army, a paraplegic Brigadier will go on to become a Major General. Brigadier S. K. Razdan, aged 53 has been a wheelchair user for the past 15 years.
Brigadier Razdan was serving as Lieutenant Colonel in the Special Forces when in October 1994 he participated in an intensive counter terrorism operation in Damal Kunzipur area of Jammu and Kashmir. In his effort to save several Muslim women from being taken hostage by militants, he suffered grave injuries to his spinal cord, leaving him paralyzed below the waist.
Razdan was awarded with the Kirti Chakra, the nation's second highest peacetime gallantry award in 1996 for his act of valour. He later went on to become a Brigadier.
This is not the first time in the Army that physically disabled officers have reached high ranks. As per the rule of the Army, any injury or disability suffered during war, counter-terrorism or any other operation, which is called a `battle casualty' does not come in the way of promotion of any soldier as long as he is capable of performing his duties.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- "My office is always open, we look forward to inputs from the disability sector", Dr. C. Chandramouli
- If the disabled population is counted correctly there will be no space for the government to deprive us from our rights
- 5th meeting of the National Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (N.C.R.P.D.) held on March 17
- M.S.J.E. to form an â€˜Expert Committeeâ€™ to study the demand for a new law
- Radical amendments to the National Trust Act proposed
- Urban Development Ministry forms Sub Group to harmonise access guidelines
- Justice A.P. Shah endorses the idea of a National Disabilities Advisor
- M.S.J.E. announces vacancy for the position of C.C.P.D.
- Dates for West and South Zone Consultations finalised
- Supreme Court orders immediate reinstatement of teacher with Cerebral Palsy
- High Court reserves seats for dyslexic students in Delhi University
- Disabled Officer all set to become Major General
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: