Volume 8 Issue 7 - April 01, 2011
Once again a disabled student has been put to test. Well, literally.D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Jaswinder Singh Sodhi, a first year student of Computer Engineering at Guru Nanak Dev University, Ludhiana has low vision and cerebral palsy. This restricts him from performing fine motor functions with his hands. A good performance in the C.B.S.E. board exams secured him admission in the university. “His performance in the first semester exams could have been better,” felt Jaswinder’s teachers. What did not go in his favour was the scribe allotted to him who as per the rules was a grade lower than the examinee. While this ‘rule’ is supposedly to deter disabled students from cheating so to say, it also makes it extremely difficult for them to spell out every term that the scribe is unfamiliar with. Not only does it create unnecessary stress but also wastes a lot of time of the student.
Jaswinder’s second semester exams have brought a fresh set of challenges for him and his family. The engineering drawing exams involve hand drawing which Jaswinder cannot do due to his disability. Dictating the design to be drawn to someone else would be extremely difficult. His academic life and career is now at stake. His exams are scheduled in the second week of May, 2011.
His parents Dr. R.S. Sodhi and Dr. Neelam Sodhi approached the Punjab Technical University for help, but in vain. Despite ‘Right to Education’ passed by the Parliament in 2009 and ‘Reasonable Accommodation’ guaranteed by U.N.C.P.R.D., Jaswinder has to go through many such hurdles and ‘tests’.
Jaswinder is not asking for an exemption from any exam. All he wants is an alternative. Experts say that hand drawing is as it is a bit archaic now. The world of Engineering has moved on to what is called ‘Computer Aided Design’ (C.A.D.). The whole idea of an exam is to test one’s knowledge of an issue. In Jaswinder’s case, it can be easily done by testing his drawing skills or knowledge level with the help of C.A.D. Another option experts have suggested is to give an oral or a written test in lieu of the drawing test. All these provisions would easily fall within the ambit of ‘Reasonable Accommodation’ as guaranteed to a disabled person after India’s ratification of U.N.C.P.R.D.
The Sodhis have now approached N.C.P.E.D.P. to take up the issue. N.C.P.E.D.P. has in turn written to the Ministry of Human Resource Development and All India Council for Technical Education.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- â€śLack of political will on the part of decision makers is a hurdle towards mainstreaming disabilityâ€ť
- â€śOur focus is on enhancing the equitable inclusion of people with disabilities as employees, customers and stakeholders,â€ť Suzanne Colbert
- D.M. Naidu passes away: A huge loss for the Indian disability sector
- Beleaguered Committee drafting new disability law set to miss deadline yet again!
- Health Ministry and M.S.J.E. to finally sit together to discuss Legal Capacity
- Indian Sign Language Research Institute: M.S.J.E. endorses I.G.N.O.U.â€™s hijacking!
- Once again a disabled student has been put to test. Well, literally.
- Sports Ministry derecognises P.C.I.
- Identify less strenuous jobs for disabled jawans: Delhi High Court
- Finance Minister ends medical misery, rolls back tax
- A.M.U.â€™s Centre for Distance Education to also focus on people with disabilities
- Public awareness about Downâ€™s Syndrome essential: Dr Chopade
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: