Volume 9 Issue 7 - June 15, 2012
National Skill Development policy leaves much to be desiredD.N.I.S. News Network, India: The National Skill Development policy aims to train 500 million people by 2022 and 15 million people every year. However, the policy does not set any target for skilling people with disabilities despite mentioning that the current level of participation of people with disabilities in skill programmes is very.
The policy neither gives any target nor suggests a quota that should apply to the skill development programmes. It merely mentions that people with varying degrees of physical and mental disabilities will be provided with appropriate adjustment and skills training to bring them in the economic mainstream and make them productive citizens. It does, however, mention the need for reasonable accommodation that enables people with disabilities to access the facilities.
The National Skill Development Corporation (N.S.D.C.) that was set up to fulfil the policy has agreements with several private institutions to meet the annual target of 15 million. But these agreements do not have any clause on inclusion of people with disabilities.
It may be mentioned here that the Sub-Group on Economic Empowerment under the Working Group on Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities formed for the 12th Plan process did include this issue in their recommendations. It stated that 333 million people will be trained by 2017 and 3 percent of that, which is 10 million people with disabilities should be part of this policy in the 12th Plan period.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- âExcept making a little noise on the post 2015 development goals, the global disability movement is not up for the challenge aheadâ: Javed Abidi
- âThe challenge is to provide students with disabilities what they need, when they need it; and as a matter of rightâ: Rajluxmi Murthy
- Department of Disability Affairs notified
- National Advisory Council supports full legal capacity
- D.R.G. member resigns from Ministry of Civil Aviation Committee
- Government interviews a new set of candidates for the post of R.C.I. Chairperson
- National Youth Policy 2012 to also focus on youth with disabilities
- National Skill Development policy leaves much to be desired
- Only 160 crore for e-inclusion in the 12th Plan
- Tamil Nadu to issue R.T.I. replies in Braille
- D.U. hypes an âincreaseâ in number of disabled applicants, but half of the seats still go vacant
- Applications invited for Jamsetji Tata Chair for Universal Design
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: