Volume 1 Issue 8 - December 15, 2003
Authorities in need of sensitisation
DNIS News Network -- Three days prior to the World Disability Day celebrations in the Capital, the New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) has refused permission for the setting up of Solidarity Booths by National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP).
The Solidarity Booths were to be set up for common people to express their support and solidarity with the disability sector, by signing pledges and wearing yellow and blue ribbons. Though the NDMC had been approached almost a month ago for permission to set up these booths, its decision was finally communicated on November 28. Permission was denied as the department felt that the booths would lead to "congestion in the area and encroachment on public land".
Javed Abidi, Executive Director of NCPEDP, said that this action only displayed the insensitivity of the authorities towards the issue of disability. He further added that the authorities were charging a fee of Rs 500 fee for the Solidarity Booths while corporate bodies were granted permission to set up their booths for free.
The decision has hampered the hard work of several organisations which have been busy with preparations for the World Disability Day. According to the Disability Rights Group, the main aim of the event would be to highlight the problems of disabled people round the country, and to voice their need for inclusion into mainstream society.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Government violates its own Act
- Disabled persons need jobs, not allowances
- Visually challenged in Orissa: Tired of assurances, craving for action
- Helen Keller awards honour hard work done in the disability sector
- Disabled physiotherapists excel in their field
- Special Olympics Bharat gives disabled children a 'sporty' life
- Finally! A place fully accessible to disabled people
- Authorities in need of sensitisation
- India soon to eradicate polio
- Disabled professors find no place in DU
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: